Thursday, May 07, 2009

Insurance bullshit

Why? Why does getting insurance have to stress me out so much? I don't understand. Why can't it be a simple process?

When we first moved to Winnipeg we insured both the cars under me to simplify the process. This worked for 2 or 3 months until the insurance was up for renewal, at which point they told me my insurance would double from $100/mo to over $200/mo (roughly). This was due to a ticket I received 2 years previously in Calgary. See in Alberta you get one free ticket (where it doesn't affect your insurance rates). Apparently that isn't the case here, so once they found out about the ticket (absolutely clean record otherwise) my insurance sky rockets. So we switch both cars to Jo's name, have to pay the annual registration fee of $120 (again! even though i had just paid it 2 months ago). So that lasted us for another 5 months, which is now, and we need to renew our insurance again. Meaning paying this stupid fucking $120 AGAIN. That along with the $200+ we pay monthly for our fucking car insurance.

We also have our house insurance through these people, except not really. It turns out they are just an insurance broker, not an actual insurance company. So we pay another $100 or so a month for fucking house insurance.

Now we also need to get health insurance, and life insurance, and Mama Bean needs to get life insurance. This is just stupid... In the end we will be paying over $600 a month in insurance dues. I call bullshit.

Oh, and I had mortgage insurance for our house in Calgary (which we sold last JULY) and they are still fucking charging me for mortgage insurance. I've told them to cancel it a couple of times, and refund my money, yet they still continue to charge me. Seriously...WHAT THE FUCK!??!!?

So, the point of this post: I FUCKING HATE insurance companies and all the bullshit I have to deal with. At least in Calgary I had it all through the same company that I used for 8 years with no problems. I'm looking at doing that here, finding one company and getting it all through the same place.

3 comments:

SkippyMom said...

First off I have to say - nice. Are you a little pissed off Chris? I don't blame you at all...believe me...I have been through this so many times I have wanted to scream.

The Calgary house HAS TO BE CANCELLED and NOW...I don't know how to help you with - hell I don't know how to help you with any of this being in the US, but I do feel your pain. I went from 1400 USD a year to 288 USD on car insurance [same care same driver] just by inquiring - I couldn't believe it...but it worked...I just shopped it.

The thing about Health insurance here in the US is if you say "Oh I had a sore throat 8 months ago, but nothing for the previous 5 years and nothing since" they will still UP the coverage or deny you [and this is on a 14 y.o.] DRIVES me bananas...

So your post hit home. I wish I had advice, but not being CAN I can't help.

Good luck sweetie.

SkippyMom said...

My post made no sense, I realize.

Care = car
And Calgary house = the one you don't own anymore

christopher said...

hehe, I understood. :)

I finally found out why they haven't canceled my Calgary mortgage insurance, so I can get that done tomorrow.

And while I bitch about health insurance up here, I understand that it doesn't compare to how shitty that is down there. I read your post about your little one and her $4000 emerg bill. :(