Wednesday, November 26, 2008

The Quest to Become a Better Writer

I want to become a better writer, and I have 2 years in which to get a good start. The thing is that I don't know how. How does one become a better writer? I surf through a large number of blogs everyday and they are all well written. This is part of the reason I read them. Someone could have great ideas, but if they don't know how to express them in a coherent structured manner, it becomes lost in the mess. I think this is what happens to me. I just sat down to write a bit about how Judas has been unfairly demonized for his part in the betrayal, and subsequent killing of Jesus. And how by vilifying the Jews for killing Jesus, people are missing the point. Jesus was SUPPOSED to be killed. It was part of the prophesy. And besides, how could he have been he ultimate sacrifice if he wasn't killed?

But I struggle to express myself with words. I have all of these ideas running around my head, but I don't have the words, or ability, to put them to paper (or screen).

My goal is to be back in school in 2 years and get my degree. I'd like to be a better writer by that point so I can focus on the other aspects of my schooling and not have to worry so much about my writing.

2 comments:

Trivia Kari said...

Having spent/wasted a couple of years paying people to teach me to write, I think I can offer a couple of suggestions. The first is to read, and to read all kinds of materials. The second is to write, which you're already doing. The third is to be edited. Set yourself an objective, write something to meet that objective, and have someone read your writing. Then prepare yourself for criticism (constructive criticism, of course). It can be ego-bruising but there's nothing like an outside eye.
And basically, that's all we did in the writing program. Lots and lots of writing and being edited. There's always the technical grammar stuff too, but even professional writers aren't necessarily up on that. Hopefully there would be a writing centre at your chosen post-secondary institution to help with that. Or there's always your wife and her grammar-loving friends :)
I hope that isn't just a bunch of crap that you've already heard.

christopher said...

thanks kari! it's not a bunch of crap i've already heard. it adds onto what mr. topher told me. :)