Sunday, January 20, 2008

Tithing

Troy's sermon today was on the subject of tithing. Normally, I'm not a huge fan of sermons on money, but that's because they've never done it right. Troy got it right. He approached it from the right perspective, his observations, comments and teachings were all right on the money (hehe). It was by far the best sermon I've ever heard on tithing.

A few years ago I was in a church in Regina, and the pastor was speaking on tithing. His take on it was that if you didn't tithe (so 10% or more) than your dishasher would break. Or your iron. Or your car. He told the congregation that if they didn't give 10%, then shit would hit the fan. The less you gave, the bigger the item that broke. Seriously. It blew me away. I couldn't beleive that a pastor would say shit like that. It's not even like he skirted the issue.

"If you don't tithe on a weekly basis, don't be suprised to wake up one morning to find your dishwasher broken"

It was the first and last time I went to that church.

No comments: