Sunday, September 20, 2009

Innate Parenting

Are we born ready to be parents? Do we have this innate knowledge, from birth, that prepares us for being good parents?

Part of me thinks so. Part of me thinks we are all born with the innate knowledge of how to be parents, of how to raise a child. I think it is then up to us to make the choice whether we want to be good parents or not. I think it's innate to all creatures, not just humans. Animals in the wild know how to take care of and raise their young, so why is it such a stretch to think that we, these intellectually superior creatures, aren't born knowing how to raise children?


Don't you love those people that ask you a question just so they can tell you a story? Mama Bean and I are finding this happening more and more when it comes to expecting a baby. They ask how the pregnancy is going, and don't really pay attention to, nor care about, the response. All they want is to tell their story. All parents have stories, it's part of having kids, but not everyone wants to hear your story every time you have an opportunity to tell it.

1 comment:

SkippyMom said...

I will talk about my kids on my blog - obviously I am very proud of them - BUT, and it is a big one -

I will not offer parenting advice or talk about my pregnancies because EVERYBODY's experience is different. I am not a better [or worse] parent then any other parent out there - I am just who I am and you are right - you do [will] know how to raise, nuture and especially love a child [if you are at all a decent human being, the news seems to prove me wrong a lot ;)]

That being said - I hope you know that is why I am quiet on some of your posts because this is my way - And this pregnancy, birth and child are yours and Jo's alone - and as such you enjoy the experiences and do your best.

That is all anyone can expect.

Hugs to you both [and may I add, again, how EXCITED I am :D - can I share that at least...lol]