Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Work Frustrations

My job isn't so much stressful as it is frustrating. All summer it has been 3 steps forward and 2 steps back; slowly gaining ground while simultaneously wasting a whole shit-load of time. I'm not sure if it is like this every summer/fall, but it's pretty bad this year.

Typically we sit at about 100-120 open tickets between all 25 schools in our division. Right now we are just over 400, with over 25% of them being from my school. My school does NOT make up 25% of the population of the division, but it does include about 25% of the princesses.

There are a lot of things that can be improved on, and should have been done years ago, but for some reason we run around in circles with our thumbs up our collective asses. I mean, at the very least we should have a test environment. We are a large organization, how can we not run changes through a test environment before going live? No large organization roles out huge server, system, and software upgrades without thoroughly testing it. I mean seriously... It is so frustrating some times.

Today, just as I thought I was starting to get ahead, someone makes a change and sets me back hours of work. I had already been there almost two hours longer than I was supposed to be there when it happens. I've been going in an hour early everyday to try and get caught up, but I keep getting kicked back.

My goal is to have less than 50 tickets by the end of the week, so we'll see. I'll keep working hard, and get shit done and that's about all I can do.

2 comments:

SkippyMom said...

I don't know what your job is and really didn't understand that post, but hugs to you because I do understand work frustration. :)

Hope today gets a lil' better - and just think! Soon you will be off, taking care of your new lil' spud! :) I can't wait.

christopher said...

:) Thanks SkippyMom. I'm an IT guy (1 of 8) for a school division. I'm in charge of 2 schools, one of which is the largest high school in the division (1500 kids, which is double the next closest school).