Monday, November 16, 2009

bottle feeding

Today I fed Bean from a bottle! Only 1 oz, but it was so cool!

With Mama Beangoing back to work in a couple of weeks, we want to get him used to taking a bottle, and with all the horror stories I've been hearing/reading about kids that refused a bottle, I was more than a little apprehensive about the whole ordeal. Excited, but a little nervous that I'd sit here for an hour with a crying baby that would refuse to eat.

I took him about 30 minutes before his next feeding would typically take place, and changed his diaper to wake him up a bit from his sleeping. We sat down in a room he doesn't normally equate with breastfeeding and with Mama Beandownstairs we gave it a try. He was a little hesitant at first, but once he got the taste of that sweet breastmilk, he was all over it.

It was pretty awesome feeding him. It is an amazing feeling giving hims something tangible, not just my love and hugs and kisses. :) He just sat there staring into the distance... it was so cute.

Tomorrow I'll do 2 oz., and we'll work up to three, so that we can cut out one of Jo's feedings. This will get him comfortable with the idea of how much a bottle feeding is for when she's back at work. this could also allow me to do say a midnight feeding letting Mama Bean sleep for more than 2-3 hours at a time. Imagine that! I think she'd appreciate that.

2 comments:

SkippyMom said...

I don't want to step on toes or pretend here, but I feel like such a proud grandparent [due to my age and nothing else] YOU AND JO ROCK!

This is so cool. [See I am old - who says "cool" anymore? giggle]

I love the happiness you take in caring for Bean [still the best name in the whole world!] and the wonderment in your accomplishments.

The smile on my face is wide thinking of you two bonding over a bottle. You are a great Daddy! :)

My best to you, Mama Bean and Bean

C Lo said...

aww. :) what a good hubby you are.