Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Not such a big deal

It's amazing how everything is such a big deal right now. The frustration when he doesn't eat properly, when he doesn't sleep at night, when he cries, and when he's just generally uncooperative. And joys of having no idea what he wants when he fusses/cries/makes noise.
BUt in a few months, even weeks, everything will change. 3 months from now we'll have a whole new set of challenges before us, and these feeding issues will be put into perspective. Not that the next challenge will be that much more difficult, but we'll look back and see that it really wasn't such a big deal. It felt like forever that we were using that syringe system to feed him, but it was actually only about a week. And these sleepless nights, and fighting to feed him at night, while I don't know how long they will go on for is going to be put in perspective.

Though, I'll be the first to admit that it's tough to keep things in perspective when the lack of sleep amplifies every little problem. Everything seems so much worse with a lack of sleep.

I'm learning that it isn't just the sleep deprivation that is the real killer. It's the added emotional draining that his crying and fussing brings on.

There's so much to learn and experience with a new baby. I'm loving this being a parent thing, and as I type this (and wish I had a sling or something for him as typing with one hand is a pain) I'm noticing how much his face has changed. He is 4 weeks old tomorrow. It's kinda crazy. It seems like just yesterday I was freaking out because I had no idea what I was doing the day he joined us.

Being a parent is awesome. I'd highly recommend it. :)

2 comments:

Stacey said...

The first month was a BLUR for us too. It is so hard to work off of 2-3 hrs of sleep and remain civil to everyone else in the world who is not your baby. It totally gets better. Leah's turning 1 on the 20th...and that just blows my mind. I cant wait to see more pics of your kiddo! And buy a sling lol!!

Dave said...

slings rock