Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Failure is not an option

It's amazing how this 9lb, 5 week old humanoid can make me feel so defeated.

Our foray into the world of bottle feeding has been a tumultuous journey. One filled with peaks and valleys. And it's only been a week.

He'll typically take at least an ounce from me, but after that, it can all go out the window real quick. It took us 2 hours to drink 2 oz. last week, but the next night he drank 4.5 oz when Mama Beanand I fed him together. Over the weekend Mama Beanfed him in public, at the baby shower with no problem, as he gobbled it down. Yesterday, he ate nicely from my mom, a good 3 oz. But today... today was back to the shitshow. In an hour he drank just over an ounce. Now we think that it might be that we overheated it and it broke down/got gross. But that can't be confirmed. All I know is that he is hungry because he'll suck on my finger, but the moment I give him the bottle, he'll suck 2 or 3 times, and spit it out and start crying.
It's been about 45 minutes since we gave it up, and Jo's going to breast feed him, which'll probably go fine.

Monday I start my new life as a stay-at-home-dad (sahd), and the only thing that scares me is feeding. People say he will eventually eat if he gets hungry enough, but I've read stories of kids that don't and have to go to the ER b/c they are dehydrated. Now I can't see that happening as Mama Beanis never away for more than 8 hours, but it still worries me. I'm so excited about being a sahd, but feedings like these just make me a little nervous.

I used to hate the saying "failure is not an option." Yes, it is an option. I can choose to pass, or I can choose to fail, it is my choice, and always an option. Until you have a kid. Then it isn't an option anymore. This little guy is totally dependent on me. I cannot give up. I cannot give him back and go home. I cannot hide in my closet when things go shitty. Now things have, for the most part, been pretty damn easy. We have a great kid who is friggin awesome. But when things do get tough, I can't give up. Failure isn't an option this time.

6 comments:

SkippyMom said...

Try not to stress about his eating Chris. I know it is hard, but babies have an innate sense that knows when you are tense and will become tense too. Just relax - Mama Bean is there, he will eat - and he is also going to figure out next week that "Hey, the Mom isn't around...that bottle is looking pretty darn good." You'll see.

And you are right about failure IN THIS SENSE [he does have to eat] - but parents fail all the time. Believe me. Read my post from last night and you may see what I mean.

I am crushed, still about it - but we are all human and make mistakes. Not failing means you're perfect and no one is perfect. :)

My best to you, Mama Bean and Bean

[I told you I wouldn't give parenting advice, not my style, but I just want you to be less stressed about everything, y'know? And one hint - try wearing Jo's bathrobe while you feed Bean his bottle - it might help if he can smell her. Good luck]

C Lo said...

Have you tried different nipples? Kids are weird and like to freak us out, that is a constant that's for sure.

Anonymous said...

What lovely finds! I adore the women.. I keep thinking that they remind me of Wren (Clarice's heroine) somehow...Elegant and charming... :D
clases de shampoo
Mejores Cruceros mundo
Seguros GĂ©nesis Auto

Mejores seguros rapidos said...

A very good article. I am looking for is information. Thank you very much for the great article .We are encouraged to write this great article came out again

Angry Birds Juegos online said...

Admiring the commitment you put into your blog and in depth insight you present here. It’s nice to find a blog every once in a while that is not all the same outdated rehashed information. Excellent work! I’ve bookmarked your site and I’m adding your site link to my Bookmarks today. Imagine, I love your website so much that I would like to advertise my own site on it

peliculas amo el cine said...

This design is incredible! You most certainly know how to keep a reader entertained. Between your wit and your videos, I was almost moved to start my own blog (well, almost…HaHa!) Excellent job. I really loved what you had to say, and more than that, how you presented it.