Sunday, July 27, 2003

Folk Fest Day 3

Okay, I saw Ani. And I still don't much care for her. Way to much hype over nothing.

Notes on Ani:

Yes, she knows how to play acoustic, and she does have a pretty voice, except when she does that high, wafty, willowy voice. That is rather annoying, though her facial expressions are cute.

She looks better without dreads.

When she gets into her angry music (the left-wing hippie crap) the music gets bad. Not just lyric-wise, but musically. Her guitar playing goes down the drain and her voice goes bad.

I will agree that she does have some intelligent things to say, not a lot, but some. She says certain things that are good, ie I agree with them, but her fan base takes it to the extreme, thus eliminating the point of the message.

Notes on Folk Fest Day 3:

Kris Demeanor is awesome. I quite enjoyed him when he did this workshop with Kim Barlow, and this other woman. They really clicked on the stage when they were jamming together, and I have a feeling that is what the workshops are supposed to be like.

I saw Sarah Harmer. Yay! I quite like her, but the workshop she did, with the Waifs, whom I also enjoyed, and this whiny, annoying thing from Iowa, was rather boring. They just took turns playing songs. There was no real interaction, which really took away from the whole thing.

Al Stewart was lame. I was so disapointed. I was really looking forward to him and "Year of the Cat." But it was just him on the stage, solo, with an acoustic. Lame.

So now I have seen Elvis Costello and Sarah Harmer, Ani, and Danu. Yes, I fell asleep during them, but they were still cool. Tomorrow I will see Blue Rodeo, Ian Tyson, and hopefully lots of other good acts.

Okay, I can't believe that Heather doesn't like Robin Black. Well, actually I can. It is very much 80's rock. Kinda Poison/G&R/other cool bands. And since most people, at least those I associate with, don't much care for 80's music, of any kind. So I forgive them. Heather and I have called a truce, because we can still talk about sports, mainly baseball. Which is cool, because before I started listening to Jim Rome, (I will get to that in another entry, because it will take me awhile.) I would never have had any clue about what she was talking about, but know I actually know things. I can carry on a conversation with her regarding the Jays, and MLB. I am impressed.

I am tired, and am going to bed. I have another fun-filled day ahead of me, so I will be off.

No comments: