Wednesday, November 01, 2006

employee of the month

Alright, so maybe Mama Bean is right and I am a professional job changer.

I quit my job yesterday. In a less than stellar fashion. My boss and I had a bit of a run in and it resulted in me leaving.

It started yesterday morning when I was doing a fairly decent job, something I’d never done before but was fairly easy and I was learning things as I was going. Earl (the owner of the company) comes out and asks me in his gruff-pissed off-semi-mad-totally not polite way, “What are you doing?”

To which I reply, “Installing this temperature sensor”

“Have you ever done it before?”

“Ummm…no.” (it’s not like it is a hard thing to do)

“ Well get out of there, I don’t want you doing that. Get over here and drill these holes” (yay a job any fucking monkey could do)
So I’m pissed off at getting shafted out of a decent job to do some bullshit. A few hours later I’m sweeping the floor, cleaning stuff up b/c I hate working in a pig sty, when Earl comes up and in his same assholish manner asks me what I’m doing.

“Ummmm…sweeping the floor?” (what the fuck does it look like, I’m pushing a broom)

“Don’t you have anything else to do?”
(pissed off and attitudy)“No. I’m not qualified to do anything else. Obvioiusly if I haven’t done something once before I can’t do it. So I may as well sweep the floor because I’ve done that before”

“What are you talking about?”

So I explain to him that he pulled me off a job that I was perfectly capable of doing, and had me do some menial task fit for monkeys. He looks at me hard and asks me if I have a problem. By this point I’m right fucking pissed and sick of all this bullshit and having to deal with his demeaning attitude day in and day out and with the way he treats everyone. So I tell him.

“Yeah, I do have a problem. I’m sick of you being a fucking asshole all day long”

He just looks at me. You can see the little gears turning in that thick skull of his. So he turns to my foreman and kinda chuckles “Can you believe this?” and tells Terry to get me to do something.

I just walked away and went back to work All the while this old mechanic named Jim is about 6 feet away behind a truck and starts clapping when I call Earl an asshole. A couple of the guys came over and shook my hand later, and voted me Employee of the Month.

So I worked until the end of the day b/c I need the money since I’m gonna be off for a few days looking for a new job.

And that’s what I am now doing. Looking for work. :) Hopefully this next one will work out a little better than the last 2.

2 comments:

stacey said...

BRAVO GOOD SIR! I am SO proud of you for actually saying something. Im near jealousy here >_< With a smidgin of hope maybe that asshole will realize his actions. Who knows, you may have opened his eyes. =) Anywho, good luck in the job hunt, Im about to do the same!
Later tator.

one smarmy mama said...

Good for you. I hate that kind of crap.