Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Exorcisms

What do you think about exorcisms? And demonic possession, both of body and location? I've been reading this blog, Kansas Exorcists Society, and it gets me thinking. Normally I think it's a load of hogwash, but with some truth interspersed. I think what throws me off is the babble of a literal interpretation of the Bible, specifically the book of Revelation. I am not a Bible literalist, and reading about "prophesy" and how Obama is evil, and on and on just annoys me.

But the idea of possession and subsequent deliverance does have me intrigued. I've always been torn about spiritual warfare and its manifestations in the physical world. For example, this dude at bible college had a seizure one night following a "seminar" we had on how masturbation is bad. He was a chronic masturbator (i don't know many young, single guys that aren't, bible college student or otherwise) and a demon attacked him (thus causing the seizure). So all the guys in the building, with the exception of myself and maybe a couple of others that were sleeping, started a prayer walk. They walked around and around our dorm building praying.

At the time, I was like, "what a load of complete bullshit." I was also already pissed off about the seminar and the fact that some dude was spouting off about the evils of masturbation, and how it is an addiction from the devil and blah blah blah. So when I hear that this dude was attacked, it just made me more annoyed.

Since then, I haven't really thought about it. And since I recently started reading this blog, thoughts of spiritual possession and such has been working it's way into my consciousness. Like big healing miracles of the past, is demonic possession just another one of those old timey things that used to happen, or is this a very real thing?

2 comments:

Dave said...

Hey bro',

You'd do well to look into Pierre Gilbert's book,

Demons, Lies and Shadows. (Herald Press). He discusses 'spiritual warfare', 'demon-possession' and relates that to the Bible. What does the Bible have to say about all that?

He also looks at worldview, and challenges how modern evangelicals look at demonic warfare.

It's definitely worth a read.

Check the link: http://www.mbseminary.edu/news/2007-10-08

or

https://www.kindredproductions.com/index.cfm?pageID=22&section=24&ID=385

Hope that sheds a little light on the topic fer ya!

christopher said...

Thanks Dave,

That sounds pretty cool, I'll definitely have to check it out. :) I love having pastors as friends. They always know about the coolest things.