Monday, February 02, 2009

Observing

Last Thursday I spent the evening at church band rehearsal. I wasn't playing though. I just sat there and watched. Well, I did more than watch. I observed, I studied, I absorbed. I find that since I started playing bass, I spend a more time on Sunday mornings checking out the bass player and what he is doing than I am worshiping. And Rolly is a great bass player, so it was cool to watch him and see how he approaches the songs and compare it to how I would play it.

This gave me the perfect chance to check out the playing beforehand, freeing myself to release myself on Sunday morning. It was still tough to not sit there and pay attention to the band during the service, but I found I did a lot better than usual. It was nice to just let my self fill with the spirit and lose myself in the music and atmosphere.

We also took the first steps to get a small group together, which Mama Bean and I are very excited about. It is something we have really been missing since leaving Calgary, and things are starting to come together for that to happen.

No comments: