Monday, July 13, 2009

School

So I'm looking at going back to school in January 2010. Just to take a couple of courses to start with as bean will still be fresh in our lives, but I really want to get back into it.

About 5 years ago I went to bible college for a semester before dropping out. At the time, I wasn't ready to be there, so it was good that I left. I am now ready to go back, and really looking forward to it.

There are so many questions though. What school to go to, what program to take, which churches will allow me to be a pastor with just an undergrad. I want to eventually get my Masters of Divinity, but I'd prefer to get a pastor job with my undergrad and work through a M.Div. If that doesn't work then I'll just have to work through my undergrad and M.Div with IT work, and then get a pastor job. I'd rather not go that route though. :)

I'm currently looking at Canadian Mennonite University (CMU). It's a liberal arts university that offers both Biblical and Theological programs along with your normal everyday university programs. It's a small school of about 500, but seems to have some pretty decent programs.

The main ones of interest to me are:
# Bachelor of Arts (Major in Biblical and Theological Studies, Four or Three year)
# Bachelor of Church Ministries (Four or Three year)
# Bachelor of Theology (Three year)

Now this is where I get confused. What is the difference between a 3 and 4 year degree? If I can get a job with a 3 year degree, why spend the money on an extra year? If I can get into a Masters program with a 3 year degree, why take a fourth? I'll have to meet with the admissions people and find out, but right now I'm leaning towards a BA with a Major in Biblical and Theological Studies and a minor in Church Ministries, but we'll see.

So yeah. That's what I'm looking at. I sent out a bunch of emails to various pastor's that I know to get some ideas/advice to which I have received a number of great replies.

It's exciting, and I can't wait to see where things go.

2 comments:

selfrequiem said...

You should find a church that you would like to work for and ask what kind of undergrad they look for in a candidate.

Start with the job and work back.

christopher said...

look at you with the smart ideas. that's a good one. :) now to find out where to find the pastor want ads.