Sunday, August 09, 2009

Acoustic Bass

Last weekend I went to one of the music stores in town and rented an acoustic bass for the month. It's only $18 for the month which is pretty awesome, though it's been a bit of a challenge to learn to play.

It plays quite a bit differently from my electric, and is taking some getting used to, but I'm really enjoying it. It has a totally different tone from my electrics, but I'm really enjoying it. It doesn't quite have the same deep end, and it isn't quite as smooth, but it has a richness about it that I find intoxicating. And it feels really cool to play a set with a couple of acoustic guitars and fit right in. :)

I am realizing the importance of a properly setup instrument though. The intonation is so far off so that by the 12th fret I'm a 1/4 tone off. It also vibrates off the frets pretty bad if I play too hard. But since I only have it for a month, I'm not really going to spend any money on getting it setup. I will make sure I let them know when I bring it back though. What does suck though, is after playing today the jack fell out of the end so I'm going to have to bring it in for them to put it back together. It's only the 3rd time I picked it up, so that was annoying.

I can't afford a new guitar, but it is fun to play around with for awhile. :)

No comments: