Friday, March 13, 2009

Musical Tastes

I recently went through and culled my music collection. I had a ton of stuff that I have never listened to, and know that I never will. And while part of me wanted to keep it just to say I have it, my practical side took over and quashed that. This started when I formatted my computer, and when I put my 80 gigs of music on an external drive to take to work. We aren't allowed to stream music, though I could if I wanted, so I chose to bring in my collection from home. It's actually been pretty cool as I ripped all of my CD's to MP3, so I've been listening to a lot of my older music that I haven't touched in years. I love the memories it brings back.

So I've been discovering new music, and rediscovering old music. No matter what I'm doing at work, when I'm in my little server room office, I have good tunes going. Now I understand musical tastes dictate that it wouldn't be good music to everyone, but I don't hide my musical preferences, and they no longer embarrass me.

Growing up, especially in high school, I was embarrassed about my musical tastes. I was a HUGE Spice Girls fan (I even had a fan site on the old geocities), and loved all of that 90's pop. I remember one of the popular girls making fun of me in grade 10 for buying the Aqua album. It was then that the embarrassment kinda kicked in and I hid my musical tastes. I'm sure my dad kinda wondered about me and my music, but it isn't as though it was the only thing I listened to. Dance Mix '93 was the first CD I ever bought. I grew up listening to 70's rock, and Meat Loaf is my all-time favorite artist. I love the old guys, Phil Collins, Elton John, CCR, Doobie Brothers, Yes, The Boss, Fleetwood Mac, and the list goes on. It's just that in my teens, I enjoyed the poppier stuff more.

And it is still with me. I'm more particular about it now, but I still love me some bubblegum pop. I despise the Jonas brothers and the crap they put out. But give me some Hilary Duff, or Miley Cyrus, or any of those new Disney artists. It is just so incessantly happy! Every time I hear it I smile, and I just love that feeling. If I can listen to a new song and it instantly makes me happy, there is nothing wrong with that, and I'm not going to be ashamed about it.

In more recent years, I've my music taste has broadened (especially since becoming a bass player) and I listen to more Motown era stuff as well as "nordic metal" like Nightwish. I love the heavy guitar, drums and bass mixed with softer melodic sections with a female voice. It's just beautiful.

I've recently discovered this Orthodox Jew reggae dude, Matisyahu. He is a lot of fun and I've been listening to his stuff all morning today.

I don't understand how we grow up and establish such diverse tastes, but I find it really cool. I also don't understand music snobs. I don't understand criticizing someone elses music taste. How can you tell someone that their music taste sucks? It is totally subjective. And there is nothing that makes your taste better than theirs. I'm not going to say your taste in music sucks because you don't listen to the same music as me. For example, I won't understand someone's taste if all they listen to is Rap or screamo or metal, but I won't say it sucks. That's just what they enjoy. Telling someone that their taste in music sucks is a personal attack, and something we typically avoid, but for some reason we, as a society, have decided it is okay.

With my iPod on Random, the first 25 songs are as follows...

1. Afternoons & Coffeespoons - Crash Test Dummies (i have their entire discography)
2. Open My Eyes - Inhabitated
3. Made in Heaven - Queen
4. Boom Boom (Out go the lights) - Little Walter
5. High Cotton - Alabama
6. Leave No Trace - Anathema
7. O Come All Ye Faithful - Third Day
8. Old Apartment - Barenaked Ladies
9. Party Girl - U2
10. Under Pressure - David Bowie and Queen
11. Bittersweet Symphony - The Verve
12. I Don't Wanna Rock - Bowling for Soup
13. Seperate Ways (Worlds Apart) - Journey
14. Rock and Roll Dreams Come True - Meat Loaf
15. Ace of Spades - Motorhead
16. Angels Fall First - Nightwish
17. Land of a Thousand Words - Scissor Sisters
18. Daylight Robbery - Imogen Heap
19. time is... - DC Talk
20. Come Together - Beatles
21. Josephine - The Wallflowers
22. Birthday - Quietdrive
23. Next to you - Jordin Sparks
24. Out Tonight - Rent Soundtrack
25. 22 Acacia Avenue - Iron Maiden

Judge it, or not. But stop being music snobs. Just because someone doesn't like your favorite band, doesn't mean their taste in music is shit.

3 comments:

C Lo said...

Dude, good pop music is good pop music, man.

I have a thing for the Jonas Brothers.

Stacey Sparshu said...

I love the random, eclectic musical tastes of my friends. I think that's the sign of a good musician - an appreciation for the good of many genres.

Now, just for fun (and because I can't seem to get back into work mode) here's what we find if my ipod goes on shuffle...the first 25...

1. Blue Eyes - Garden State Soundtrack
2. Hey Girl, Ray Charles
3. When Love comes to town, U2
4. Grown Men Don't Cry, Tim McGraw
5. Celebrity, Brad Paisley
6. Handlebars, Flobots
7. Zombie, Cranberries
8. The Minnow & The Trout - A Fine Frenzy
9. Saving the World, Brook Fraser
10. Hosanna, Hillsong London
11. Fairy Tale Music, Beach Boys
12. Tell Me a Lie, Fratellis
13. Cold Blooded, The Music
14. Paperweight, Josh Radin
15. Better Than Me, Hinder
16. Mad World, Gary Jules
17. Human, The Killers
18. If You Could Only See, Tonic
19. Mysterons, Portishead
20. Buying Time, Great Big Sea
21. Funnyman, KT Tunstall
22. Undone, Weezer
23. 307 The Brethern Court, Pirates of the Caribbean Soundtrack
24. Still Be Here, Hundred Reasons
25. Less is More, Joss Stone

Pretty Fun! And a fun game to go back and listen to a lot of the old stuff! What are you listening to today?

christopher said...

hehe, jonas brothers... i love my pop, but I'm just not a fan of these guys.

nice mix stacey. :) i spent most of today listening to Aqua, The Moffats and Backstreet Boys. it made me smile all morning.