Friday, April 24, 2009

Small Groups

Mama Bean and I had a wonderful small group in Calgary, and I found they are what I miss most after my family. It was a guaranteed time every week that we would get to hang out with friends.

When we moved here I really missed them, and the weekly get-together.

At the first church we started to attend, there were about 200 people, but it wasn't super welcoming. We made friends after we started to attend their bi-weeklyish small group (which I dubbed medium group because it was like 15 people), but that connection was just missing at church. We were slowly starting to make friends, but it just wasn't right.

So we switched churches, and have been attending Central Baptist since January, where we started making connections on the very first Sunday. 2 months ago we started a small group with 2 other couples, and it's been a lot of fun. It is a good couple of hours every Wednesday evening to sit and discuss spiritual topics, and the Bible. Relationships are growing, and we are connecting with other people.

Mama Bean has also been attending a ladies group, which she can't anymore because of work, but she's even going on a women's retreat this weekend. If you had asked me 5 years ago if I could see Mama Bean going on a women's retreat I would have said no. But we are all growing up, and now I have a weekend to myself. What I'm going to do, I don't know. Probably be lost and alone. :)

So small groups are great. Get one or start one and watch the relationships grow.

No comments: