Tuesday, August 19, 2003

no regrets

During the course of conversations that I have with people, the topic of Mama Beaninevitably comes up, as she is a major part of my life. I will mention the fact that she is going away in Oct for 3.5 years, and that yes, we are staying together.

This is met with varying responses, "You are staying together?" "What if she finds someone else?" "You won't last" "I'm impressed." "I hope everything works out for you."

The best is when people ask if we are going to try and make it work. I don't see how that could be a valid question, especially coming from someone I thought would know better. Why wouldn't we try? We have been together for over 2 years, and are just going to stay together until she leaves and then break things off… Is it just me or does that sound ridiculous? Why would anyone spend 2 years building a relationship, only to end it because of a temporary distance separation? Of course we are going to make it work. Yes, at times it will be difficult, but that is what makes relationships grow stronger.

And in the course of the conversation that surrounds my relationship with Jo, if they were to find out that we have been together for the past 2 years, and being that I met her when I was 18, and am now turning 21, there is always incrediousity (i don't think that is a real word, but I find it works well) with the fact that I want to spend the rest of my life with this person. "You are still young, there is so much more out there" "Marrying the first person you fall in love with is not a good idea" "How do you know she is the one you want to spend the rest of your life with? You are young, think of all the opportunities you are missing, all the girls you won't get together with, and the experiences you will miss."

Granted, there are a lot of other women out there, maybe I am passing up plenty of other opportunities, missing out on different experiences. But why risk losing the person I know I want to spend the rest of my life with for those experiences and opportunities and people? Why give up a life-time of happiness for a few years of happiness and possible years of regret for losing the one woman I want to spend my life with. All the experiences we will have together, the memories we will be able to share. When we are older we will be able to look back on those times that we shared together.

Maybe there is another woman out there for me, one that is even better than Jo. But I doubt it. I am never going to regret not getting to kiss another woman, or be with someone else, or walking down the street with another woman in my arms. I have the lady I want right now. I don't want any other. I am happy, and I have a feeling things will get better as life goes on. I never want to be with another woman. I have everything I want and then some, right here in my Jo. With a girl like her, how could I ever want anything else? She is the most wonderfulest thing ever and I love her dearly.

No comments: