Friday, May 27, 2005

it's called "kindness/thoughtfullness/considerate" people

I don't understand some people in my class. We have been out of school, have graduated, for over a month, and some of my friends have only sent out a handful of resumes. And by a handful I mean about half a dozen. In my mind, I've handed out a handful, and that's only a couple dozen. I just don't understand. How are you going to get a job, so you can make some money so you don't have to live in your parents basement for the rest of you life unless you get a job?!?
So today alone, I have sent out more resumes than most of my friends have in the past month. And as I'm looking for jobs, and finding potential ad's, I send the links to them. I'll also proof-read their resumes, and give them the list of technical skills I just added to mine. We did the same thing in school, why not share it with them? We are pretty equally qualified in terms of education in this field (even though I'm #2 in my class), so why not let them in on the jobs? They are obviously incapable of finding them for themselves, or else I'm just super fucking amazing, and know all the right places to look (ie. jobbank.ca, workopolis.ca, monster.ca, you know, the obvious ones). So I share with them. And they think this is such a weird thing. Some have even asked if I applied for the jobs I sent them, and when I say yes, they reply "well then i shouldn't apply." Of course you should! The right person for the job should get it. Not me just because I know where to look, or I put the right thing on my resume that you didn't know how to iterate yourself.
This doesn't have to be a dog eat dog world. We are allowed to help one another, as foreign as that concept is to some people. It's called being considerate or kind or thoughtfull. Try it sometime, you'll probably like it.

No comments: