Sunday, December 28, 2008

First Sunday playing at Central

I got to play at our new church today. And it was awesome.

A few posts ago I wrote about a shitty worship experience due to lack of practice. I would like to append that post by saying that it depends on the situation and people you are playing with. Mama Bean and I played at Central Baptist today and it was awesome. They picked the songs this morning (4 of them) and we ran through them a couple of times before the start of service. We played them, and everything went off without a hitch. My playing was actually pretty good too. I was slightly more adventurous in my playing (staying away from just root notes), and came up with a cool little groove for "I will call upon his name." All in all, it was awesome and I can't wait to play with them again, and continue to play with them. They are a tight group, and I've never really played with a group enough to get pretty tight with them, so that'll be cool.

It would be cool to play in a band that plays something with a little more musical substance than church music. I really love country bass lines, they are so much fun, but playing country for hours at a time, I'm not sure about. :) I also really like new pop music, but Winnipeg isn't big in that scene. There seems to be a huge metal presence out here, but as much as I love metal, I'm not really a metal bassist. lol

Another cool thing about playing at Central is that they are pretty plugged into the music scene here in Winnipeg. They have a band that they do weddings and stuff with which is pretty cool. I'm hoping, within the next year, to get into a band and actually do some real playing outside of church. I've only really played in church, with the exception of playing at our work Stampede BBQ a couple of times, so I think it would be great to get into some real playing. I've been putting in some serious practice time as of late, and I've figured out some of the road blocks I have been encountering and need to overcome. And actually worked on that this morning. :) See I have a problem standing out. I'm not big on being noticed. I'm shy. So when I play, I like sticking to the root notes and just playing in the background. Laying down a foundation, but otherwise not donig much. So what I need to work on is creating lines that add more to the song than just the foundation. I want to be able to add some groove, some funk, to the song. This involves playing notes that other people aren't playing to complement the song, which is what I'm working on.

No comments: