Monday, December 08, 2008

Worship

Not adequately preparing for worship should not happen. It is unacceptable. It is like saying to God that He isn't worth it. He isn't worth our time, or our effort. We are supposed to give God our all. Always. He IS GOD! He doesn't deserve, or even want, our second best. He wants our best, and we should give it to Him. Nothing else should even cross our minds. We should want nothing but to give Him our best.

We are instruments in His hands. We are vessels that he speaks through. Be it our playing hands, our uplifted voices, our raised hands, or our open spirits. He is the potter, and we are the clay. He doesn’t make half-ass shit, so why do we act like it? Why don't we give it our all?
I'm getting tired of shitty worship. Shitty worship that I am a part of. When you sign up to play on a worship team, you are making a commitment. You are saying, "I will show up to practice. I will show up on time. I will make sure I am ready." Why do we find value in our other commitments, but when it comes to worship practice, it takes a backseat to the rest of our lives? Where is the respect?

And now I'm not without fault either. I often don't practice as much as I feel I should, but without a practice as a band, things can't come together. Having 20-30 min before the start of the service in which to run through 4 or 5 songs as well as do a sound check doesn't cut it. I'm one of those people that will ALWAYS run through the songs a few times before Sunday morning. Be it between rehearsal and Sunday morning, or preferably before rehearsal. I hate sounding like shit on Sunday mornings, so I'll make sure I know what I'm doing beforehand. As a musician, I take pride in my playing, and maintain a certain level of professionalism. I'm by no means an amazing bass player, but I'm growing and improving and practice to continue on that path. I want to play my best, both for Him and for me.

I look forward to Sunday morning all week long. Church is the highlight of my day, so when it starts off with lousy worship, it ruins it all. I feel frustrated and annoyed and it ruins the rest of the service.

No comments: