Thursday, May 07, 2009

Frustration with rude people

This was written in response to a fellow tech talking about how a teacher turned off the lights on her while she was working in a classroom, even though the teacher knew she was there.

Now I understand that was written in jest, but it brings up a more serious issue: what is with teachers' attitudes when it comes to putting in tickets or sending emails to get something done? There is this sense of entitlement that is not very becoming.

There is no need to submit tickets or send me emails putting words in CAPS for emphasis, or using multiple punctuation marks in a row, eg. ?!?!?!?.

That is rude.

They don't NEED something done, they would LIKE something done. If their printer is broken, a ticket should be submitted asking for it to be fixed. A ticket shouldn't be sent saying, "my printer is broken, i need it fixed. it is an ESSENTIAL PART of doing my job."

That is also rude.

I understand that it is frustrating when things are broken, but a little politeness goes a long way. Most of them wouldn't be rude to me in person, so there is no reason to be rude to me in an email or ticket.

Just because they are a teacher, principal, librarian, superintendent or whatever else, doesn't make them more important or give them the right to be rude.

That is all.

Chris

3 comments:

SkippyMom said...

Agreed. I love the example you give about the printer being an "ESSENTIAL PART" of doing her job. Um, duh much lady?

The pool business has some of the most self entitled customers of any business I have ever been involved in. If you are rude to me or one of my mechanics then you, nasty customer, just might not get your pool fixed in the timeframe you are demanding. Our nice customers always, always come first. And are the ones that are more likely to get a price break then the whiners/demanders.

I feel your pain :) [PS how was your anniversary? I hope you had fun.]

Nathan said...

@Chris,

LOL, I feel you man, whenever I manned the helpdesk I got tickets like you mentioned. I also love people's idea of critical. IE printer, I'm sure there is another printer on the same floor, so a little bit of walking can resolve the teacher's issue. Maybe it's just my personality that requires everyone to like me all the time, but I have found that politeness gets the task done much faster.

christopher said...

Oh, I can imagine people with pools being nice and self entitled. When dealing with people that have enough disposable income to have pools, and pool maintenance people, not all of them, but I could see the increased number of them.

Our anniversary was great. Mama Bean had to work on Tuesday, so I hit up the archery range. We went for Vietnamese (our favorite) last night. We recently found a great place so we went back and had a great little meal together.

@Nathan: Seriously, the laziness when it comes to walking to printers. We have so many of them, but people complain soon as it isn't immediately next to them. And I hate being the bad guy and getting mad at people for their stupidity.