Thursday, May 14, 2009

Our Garden Surprise!

So Mama Bean and I got a bit of a surprise when we went to check out our community garden plot. Originally we thought it was about 12'x36', so about 400sqft, which is pretty friggin huge. We had checked it out a couple of weeks ago and saw some stakes so we assumed that was the general size of the plot and started planning based on that.

Mama Bean dorked it up and did a layout on the computer with a big color coded map of where we'd be planting everything. She figured out the spacing for all of the plants, and what goes well together, and planned it all out.

On Tuesday we went out to check on the garden plot again, as I had heard the survey was done and all of the plots had been staked out, and to say we were shocked would be an understatement. So you know that 400sqft garden? That rather large, 12'x36'? Yeah, well that's a third of the actual size. We have an 1800 sqft garden!! Yup, 30'x60'. That is HUGE. Three times the size we had originally planned. Now I'm not sad, not in anyway, it's gonna be awesome, but it was just a bit of a shock.

So yeah, we have a list of what we want to grow, but have room for lots more now. :) We are planning on growing:

1. Corn
2. Beans
3. Peas
4. Pumpkins
5. Carrots
6. Lettuce
7. Spinach
8. Broccoli
9. Cauliflower
10. Peppers
11. Tomatoes
12. Watermelon
13. Potatoes

We are also thinking of:

1. Squash
2. Turnips
3. Radishes
4. Parsnip
5. Any other ideas?

And at home (in the 4’x12’ raised garden we built last year) we will be growing:

1. Onions
2. Garlic
3. Various herbs
4. Carrots
5. Lettuce
6. A few other assorted thing.

At home we started 100 little seedlings to get things going to be ready to plant next week. Some things just work better when started inside and then transplanted outside, though I think we might have been a little late in starting them. But we started things like the corn, pumpkin, watermelon, peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, and tomatoes.

So it's shaping up to be an interesting summer. Lots of planting in the coming weeks as we are going to plant in stages to ensure we get a steady supply of veggies all summer and into the fall. There's going to be LOTS of weeding and maintenance as well. I found out that the librarian I work with also has a plot out there, so she's full of good info. It'll also be interesting come September when Mama Bean is 8 months pregnant. I think my workload will increase just a bit. ;)

I'll keep you updated on all of the fun and excitement, and pictures too!

2 comments:

SkippyMom said...

Holy Moley! WOW. I kind of thought you were going to say it was bigger, but THAT BIG? I am so, so jealous. heehee..but incredibly happy for you.

We have a dinky 10x10 back yard and it is only for the pups [in the middle of the night]

But I do have my baby pool...so I will grow something. I hope you keep us updated and [please] post pics if you can?

My best to Jo! Hugs!

C Lo said...

you have no idea how jealous I am.


psst
check my blog (but don't feel obligated to do it, I know these things are a bit corny) :P