Friday, May 15, 2009

Random thoughts for a Friday

Working in a high school scares me. Well, not so much the working in a high school part, more the seeing what kids in high school are like and thinking that I'm going to have one of them. See I was a pretty good kid growing up. Sure I got in trouble occasionally, but not really. I didn't drink, didn't do drugs, didn't go out partying, and hung around with decent people. I had rules, and I followed them for the most part. My parents took an interest in my life, but weren't the meddling type. I see such a wide range of kids everyday and since I see the delinquint kids the most (as they are always in the halls during class), they stand out the most and make the biggest impression on me of what kids are like. I know it isn't a good representation, but it shows me what could be. And that scares me. I had absolutely amazing parents, and I'm going to do my best to live up to the example they set.

I'm in the mood for some epic movies. I don't want to be at work, I want to be at home watching movies like Gladiator, Braveheart, The Patriot, Saving Private Ryan, Black Hawk Down. Movies where the entire thing is awesome, not just the fight scenes (*cough* Lord of the Rings *cough*). Since I can't sit at home and watch movies, I will sit here and do my work to the soundtracks of Gladiator, Black Hawk Down, Braveheart and Jurassic Park. I like doing my work to great soundtracks, it makes me feel like I'm doing more important work than I actually am. :)

I just has some amazing chocolate cake. And to make it even more amazing, it was cooked in a crock pot. One of the teachers borrowed a secretaries crock pot, and when he returned it to her today, he returned it full of the ingredients to make a chocolate cake. So they turned it on this morning, and 4 hours later, tada! See when you bake a cake at home, you get that nice baking smell for about 45 minutes. When you cook it in the crock pot, you get HOURS of that smell. Amazing!

Today after work is the beginning of the long weekend. A weekend during which I wanted to get our garden prepped and planted. But it doesn't seem to be looking like that is going to work. It's -2 out there and it has been raining for most of the week. Now don't get me wrong, I LOVE the rain. Just not rain accompanied by FREEZING COLD. Just north of us there was a winter storm warning, and it looked like this this morning. Seriously...it's May long, not Christmas Eve. So while we don't have the snow, we have the wet and cold. This means the dirt isn't going to be in any shape to work with, expect to maybe have fun playing in the mud.

I love scrolling through people's blogrolls on the side of their blogs and checking out all the other bloggers out there. It's amazing all the cool people out there and the things that they write about. Lately I've been finding lots of gardening blogs, and I'm learning a lot from people that have been doing this for years. It makes me even more excited to go out there and get my own going.

I think I'm going to start wearing a shirt and tie when I play at church. I'm not really sure why. Growing up we always had to wear a button up shirt (or even a polo shirt) or sweater, and look "presentable" on Sundays. I quickly grew out of that. Even at work I wear khakis with cargo pockets and hoodies (usually with a button up short sleeve shirt underneath), so I'm not really big on dressing up, at least not all the time. I love putting on a shirt and tie and slacks and looking all spiffy. So I figure I'll start doing that on Sunday's when I'm up front. We'll see about the other Sunday's, but for now I'll be doing it the Sunday's that I play. I'm still not sure of my reasoning, but I'm sure it'll come to me. :)

This weekend should be a cool worship music set at church. Instead of the normal 8 or 9 people on stage (drums, bass, guitar or 3, 4 vocalists), it will just be guitar/vocals, viola/vocals, and me on bass. I'm excited about it. It's a lot more bare then I'm used to playing, and definitely a change of pace from what we normally play, but I think it is something we should do regularly. I think it is important to bring it down sometimes. We'll see how Sunday goes. I'm excited about it though.

1 comment:

Trivia Kari said...

Hee hee you said slacks